Carnival Carnage

This was my 4th and final game project at TGA. It was by far the most hectic and fun couple of months I had during my time at the school. It is the only project I have worked on at TGA that I feel personally proud of

Screenshot_04.png

My Role

This project was the first project of the year, during which my group could function effectively. There were difficulties in the group dynamic of Necrobyte, and this was solved by having the group divide into two, this gave all of us far better working conditions and made the final project fun to work on. The result was that we were down two artists, one programmer, and both level designers. It gave us a chance to test and fill several different roles in games development, which was interesting and fun. When we got going we worked at a blazing pace and I, for the first time got a taste of what I expected it to be like working as a technical artist. We went from having been in a dysfunctional group, to being an awesome fellowship.

The main role John and I had was of course to support our now Art Director, which we both loved. My tasks during the project focused on creating and supporting the creation of our level and the scenery props in it. I also helped out in figuring out how to make our scoreboard.


Background buildings in their assembled state without textures.

Background buildings in their assembled state without textures.

My first task of the project was to create a building set that our artist could use to create the main background buildings for our level. The main challenge was to make them modular and still keep them on a single UV set. Our Art Director  enforced strict limits on how many textures we used, which to me added to the fun! The assets were built and UV mapped in blender before they were handed off in a cleaned up Maya file.

Next I worked on the flag and light chains. In blender placing out assets along a curve is extremely simple, it requires a single modifier. In Maya, its not quite that easy. I ended up working with Houdini to create a digital asset capable of it. This involved researching something called Parallel transport, in order to control the roll of the assets on the spline as it moved through the world. That is however a project I will put up under my personal projects once I have time to get back to it.

The last big thing I worked on that I have not covered, was something that got cut. I wanted to try and get destruction into the game, and the boxes that fall down to kill and hinder players were a perfect candidate. I developed a system to procedurally fracture them in Houdini, then export them to Maya where the simulated animation was baked onto a skeleton. However there were issues with reading it all in to our engine and due to time constraints we made the decision to cut it. Still, it was a fun thing to work on!

Screenshot_01.png